How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100427
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a 16 year old and we are going away trip to Calgary

Customer Question

Good Evening, So we have a 16 year old and we are going away for a trip to Calgary and she is telling us that she is not coming. Is there anything we can do? What are the laws on 16 years old?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

The law is that she is a legal minor until she reaches the age of 18 and must abide by your decisions.

But at the same time there is not much you can do if she won't agree to abide by your decisions as the police are not going to drag her onto a plane for example.

Do you see what I mean?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if anything happens to her do we get in trouble for it?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You might.

It is your legal responsibility to make sure she is taken care of.

So you have to arrange for her to stay with an adult if you don't think she is responsible enough to live on her own.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well she said to us tonight she would go to a friends but she can go where ever she wants. What can we do about that is there anything we can do?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

From a legal point of view she is supposed to listen to you. But I think this boil down more to parenting questions rather than legal questions. And if your daughter is out of control it may be that you need to speak to a school counsellor or therapist of some sort to assist you in figuring out how to deal with her.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just another question theres so many different answers for this. What age does she have to be when we can stop supporting her like with the extra stuff like computer and tv? and yes we have went to a therapy and it still hasen't gonna us anywhere.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I wish I could get some more answers but I must go thank you for all your help I hope you have a great night
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You do not ever have to provide her with a television or any other extra but you have to provide her with the basics that she needs until she becomes an adult.

Related Canada Law Questions