How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100052
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

26 June 2016 10:50 One more question the landlord locked me

Customer Question

26 June 2016 10:50
One more question the landlord locked me out and it was one week later. we had an agreement for me to leave and the end of the month and one week later he was in the store
the landlord took my last months rent and said it was a security deposit for the bailiff to lock me out
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

But why did he lock you out if you did not owe rent?

How much was the rent.

Are you saying he is not giving any of it back?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is claiming that my i would owe him last months rent and my deposit is not a last months rent it was a security deposit and he is not giving any of the deposit back. He and my employee where clearly in contact and making a plan to move in after as it was exactly one week from the day of the lock out
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

But was there any damage to the space when you left?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not at all
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Then he has no right to keep the security deposit and he had no reason to pay a bailiff and so you can sue him.

For this matter you can sue in Small Claims Court and can self-represent.

So you can send him a demand letter yourself if you prefer. Demand a full reimbursement of the funds he owes you and give him a deadline for paying you and tell him that if he fails comply you will commence legal proceedings and then will be seeking interest and your costs.

You can manage this on your own and if you need some help you can post on this site and I would be very happy to continue to assist you and can guide you through the process.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Any time.

Please rate me for this post as well before you leave.

Take good care.

Related Canada Law Questions