How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100423
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to have the president of a corporation of which i

Customer Question

i want to have the president of a corporation of which i hold shares and act as and officer and director to rescind comments (libel and defamatory) he has made about me and other shareholders and hold us harmless from any liability from his business actions
JA: Since business law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the corporation is registered in?
Customer: Ontario Canada
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: this individual has been acting very manic lately
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Corporate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We also suspect this individual may be recording our conversations to entrap me and others. For example, he has made overtures about what he has in the corporation in terms of assets and that we received renumeration to leave which was not true. he essentially wants the business all to himself .
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Were the comments opinion or actual lies?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

As this person is telling lies about you to others you can sue the person for damages to your reputation.

Your first step would be to retain a lawyer to send this person a cease and desist letter demanding a full written retraction and an apology and threatening a lawsuit.

Then if necessary you can sue for damages.

You should know that it is actually lawful to record you because only one person has to consent to the recording and this person is consenting but it sounds like you should no longer have any communications with the person or at least they should be in writing.

Does that help as a starting point?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well yes it's a good starting point. however, i am trying to think back to my phone conversation and i recall him ranting on and on about what he owned in the company and what he thinks he gave me etc... because he's very emotional and loud i do recall trying to calm him ... is there any way i can know for sure if he recorded me?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I don't see how there could be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can i get my lawyer to confirm?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Your lawyer can certainly ask but if this person is so out of control and lying and behaving this way he may very well lie about that too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, anything else as this person happens to be a family member unfortunately...
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

That is very sad. So hopefully the threat of a lawsuit will be all it takes and you won't end up in court.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, this person is also emailing me and texting requesting things like meetings, documents he's not asked for before and every time I see him he changes his tune so it is obvious his behavior and verbal discussions are not congruent with his written texts etc.. Should I send him in written notification indicating that his written and verbal communication is not congruent and that he has me confused and concerned just so it's on record?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. In Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

Yes that would make sense but I think you need a lawyer to put the reins on this person.

Please rate me now as I have not been paid even though I did the bulk of the work back on the 25th. The site does not pay me until you rate me positively.


Related Canada Law Questions