How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100424
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US citizen wanting to work Canadian company remotely

Customer Question

I am a US citizen wanting to work for a Canadian company remotely from the US. Is this possible as either a contractor or an employee or would I need to maintain a work visa?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If you are remaining in the US you do not need a work permit. A work permit is for when you are working inside of Canada.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - do I need any documentation?Would my company be able to pay me in my US account?Does it matter if I am incorporated or a full time employee of this company?Would all my taxes be in the US?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If you are an employee the company is required to withhold taxes for you. If you are an independent contractor they will not do so.

It is likely best for you to be an independent contractor and then you can decide whether or not you wish to incorporate. The company can pay directly to any bank account in the world.

As far as Canadian law applies you do not need any documentation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much - is there anything that I can have on file from CIC or a similar government company to show that I can work for the company remotely?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

No because Canada has no jurisdiction over you.

But the employer can clearly ask their own lawyer or call CIC to confirm this.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. In Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem - thanks
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If we are done please rate me now so that I can receive credit for my work.

If you think of another follow-up question later on you can certainly ask it. This post will not lock act you rate me.

Thanks and take good care.

Related Canada Law Questions