How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100373
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Entered into a gentleman's agreement with an individual to

Customer Question

Entered into a gentleman's agreement with an individual to have a custom motorcycle built by him for $25000. This individual showed me custom parts be used in the build and he ordered a motorcycle frame for the build which was payed for with my credit card. I gave him each payday funds totalling $2500. then gave him a bank draft for $20,000. made out to his business - Adrenaline Motorsports. Threee + years have past and excuses have been made for why the bike build has not begun. Last month I told him that if he has nothing to show by the end of June that I will want my money returned to me. He said he does not have the money and has not offered me any compensation.
Please advise,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

What province are you in please?

By gentleman's agreement do you mean this was a verbal agreement and there was nothing in writing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in British Columbia and yes, it was a verbal agreement between friends - at least I was foolish in thinking we were friends. I am also on Long term disability for burn out - Major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder which he was well aware of having seen a psychiatrist's assessment of my condition and that I will not be returning to work. He also knows how much money I receive each month.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am saddened to hear of this story and your difficulties.

I suggest you send him a letter by Registered Mail and in the letter give him a deadline for reimbursing you in full.

Tell him that if he fails to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then will be seeking interest, damages and your costs.

If he doesn't pay you, you can sue him in Small Claims Court and can self-represent and if it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

Related Canada Law Questions