How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99935
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Canadian citizen living in the US since 1991...and

Customer Question

I am a Canadian citizen living in the US since 1991...and had secured a Greencard at my first opportunity. Subsequent to that, I married a US citizen; and even though we live in the US full-time, upon retirement....we are thinking about moving to a property that we own in Canada, and only spending winters here in Arizona in a condo that we already own. I had never apply for US citizenship, even though my wife is always telling me that I should. Our primary question will effect us moving forward with taxes etc; AND how long can she spend in Canada each year....AND what do we need to do to get her status where she can stay up there beyond whatever time limitations the Canadian Govt have in place. She is college educated, and has a clear record....not even a parking ticket.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Before I answer I just want to confirm that you are solely asking about the law in Canada. I cannot answer about the law in the US.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about my American wife being able to be in Canada
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

She will need to apply for and obtain permanent residency status.

This will be easy so long as you wish to sponsor her as your spouse.

And the application process should be started when you are getting closer to planning the move. It can take up to two years for the application to be approved.

You will have to show that you are moving back to Canada yourself.

Here is a link to the information that you will need:

As a visitor she can visit for up to six months at a time but if she keeps leaving and coming back at some point her visits will be limited in duration and eventually she may be prohibited from entering as it will appear that she is living in Canada permanently as a visitor.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Related Canada Law Questions