How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101385
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex and I have split up we have been together years and

Customer Question

My ex and I have split up we have been together for 13 years and have a 12 year old daughter together. We have agreed on me paying her car payment and any extras my daughter needs as child support. Now my daughter has decided to come live with me but I still have all the bills of the old house in my name, how do I change it before my ex puts me in debt
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

What province do you live in please?

Is this a legal marriage or a common law marriage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would be common law and alberta
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If your daughter lives with you then her other parent must pay you child support based on that parent's income.

If the utilities are in your name then you should call the companies and explain that you no longer live there and want to close all your accounts.

Does that answer your question? If not please explain what more information you need.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.