How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100363
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am buying a house with my wife. I have a bad credit so she

Customer Question

I am buying a house with my wife. I have a bad credit so she is getting the mortgage by herself.
Is there a way to add my name to the deed if I am not on the mortgage. I live in Ontario Canada and I would like to get the answer specified to my province. Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

There is not much likelihood in your being able to do this. It is up to the bank but the house is their security and they are not going to only want to have 1/2 of the equity as their security.

So it isn't going to be possible for you to do this unfortunately.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any other legal way to protect my equity in the property or at least make the equity transfer easy if something happens to my wife?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You should have a marriage contract and also your wife should have a Will.

Related Canada Law Questions