Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am unsure of what I am liable for, I live in a condo, my

Customer Question

I am unsure of what I am liable for, I live in a condo, my kitchen faucet was leaking under my sink. I had no knowledge of this, no water on my floor or in the cupboard as it tips towards the wall. The unit under me noticed water on their ceiling on Tuesday and informed the management company on Thursday, which is when I was told about it. How much of any damage am I liable for as there seems to have been some neglect on the other owners part.
JA: Employment law can be complex. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. The attorneys have a lot of experience with this, and it would be my pleasure to match you with the best fit. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying they neglected to report this for two days and so the damage is now greater?

Are you sure this is from your faucet and not the pipes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fitting that connects the inflow to the faucet was leaking.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the delay. The Internet is down in my area and I am now trying to answer from my iPhone.

If the flood was caused by something that you own and not because of a problem with one of the common elements then you would be liable for the damages.

However, if you can show that the owner of the unit below caused the damage to be greater by neglecting to report the flood when they knew it was happening then a court, if it went that far , would not require you to pay all of the damages but would apportion the damages between the two of you.

Do you see what I mean ?