How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101431
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there an option under family class category or any other

Customer Question

Hello,Is there an option under family class category or any other category to sponsor an adult orphan. My mother has two sisters: the youngest one is married and a Canadian citizen (Aunty A) and eldest one is unmarried with no parents/dependants (Aunty B) based in India. Can Aunty B apply for such a PR and show that Aunty A is ready to take care of her?If yes, is Aunty B eligible to apply for a multiple-entry visit visa for now, while the PR is in process?Aunty B does not have much income and no residence of her own in her home country but Aunty A is wiling to bear all her Canada visit expenses which will be confirmed through a Canadian notarized statutory declarion as part of the visit visa application.Please advise.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Who wants to sponsor her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Canad***** *****er sister would like to sponsor her elder unmarried sister.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also to reconfirm, the Canad***** *****er sister has a spouse who is also a Canadian citizen and myself, her nephew as a permanent resident.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

This won't work unfortunately. As the aunt is not a minor she is not an orphaned close relative that can be sponsored.

And because the Aunty A has spouse who is a Canadian citizen she cannot sponsor her sister as another relative.

So a family class sponsorship is not possible.

I am sorry about that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks for the response. So Aunty A can only sponsor in the unfortunate event when her Canadian spouse passes away. Is that correct? Aunty A does not have any children of her own but a step-son from her curent spouse, plus I'm her nephew settled in Canada as permanent resident.Also to confirm, if family class sponsorship won't work, will a multi-entry visit visa be possibe?Thanks,
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

She can get a multi-entry visa, but she will always have to prove that she has strong ties to back home or she may be refused admission.

Unfortunately, because she has you (a nephew) she still will not be able to sponsor her sister.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So what are some of the documents acceptable as proof of strong ties to home country to get a mutli-entry visit visa. Her sister does not live in a house of her own but in a condo owned by my elder brother (So all utilities are in my elder brother's name). She also does not have much in terms of bank deposits/investments. But two of her siblings (including my mother) are based in her home countryPlease advise. Thanks.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

She may have a lot of difficulty unfortunately.

If she has a job that is great and she should show proof of this.

Otherwise she can show ties to the community and show her family depends on her etc.

If she is involved in volunteer activities or belongs to some organizations or clubs that could help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.Thanks for the direction. She is retired and so showing a job is out of the question.But to further clarify other avenues, will it suffice for her to self-declare in her application letter that her family, in home country, needs her help to take care of health needs of say an elderly family member. What suggestion would you have for her to show that her family depends on her.She is part of an informal volunteer acitivity at her local church but how can that be proved as they do not have a formal organization.Also most important is she herself is not keen on visiting for long periods given her health check-ups. Can she show that she has to go back for regular health checks?Thanks again,
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

She can show she has to go up and back and if she's already traveled her travel history will help as well.

Perhaps she can get a letter from the religious leader of her church?