How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101378
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to find out if we can get permanent residency

Customer Question

I am trying to find out if we can get permanent residency for my Nephew who is now 25. He has landed immigration papers back in 1995 when he landed with his parents. His parents only stayed for 3 months and went back to South Africa, and of course he had to go as well because he was a child. He is now in Canada and hoping he can stay permanently but we are confused of what to do. Should we start again from scratch or just apply for a working holiday visa. We have the papers from when he landed in 1995
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read that maybe there is a situation that falls under compassionate status. The fact that he had control of what his parents did?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

He lost his residency status when his family left.

So he has to reapply.

And he needs ground to do that.

So he may be able to apply as a skilled worker, or perhaps he can attend school and then apply under the Canada Experience Class.

He can also consider applying under Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds but it is not likely he would be able to succeed as there is no real loss that he will suffer given he didn't grow up here or put down roots etc.

It would be best for him to consider consulting with an immigration lawyer face to face. He doesn't have to retain the lawyer of course but having a lawyer consider his facts, his background, education and work experience and then advise would be a great first step.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiI have found out this online already so there was no new news you gave me. I thought i would get more of an answer on how to apply for some of these visa's? i am not satisfied with this generic answer
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

How would I know you wanted to know how to apply for the visas? I cannot read minds. You didn't even mention that.

You asked if he could regain his PR status somehow or get it through H and C considerations.

Which visas would you like information about?

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. In Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had mentioned a working holiday visa. I did not think you would reply so rudely about it.Maybe just refund the money if you are so abrupt with your answers and you can't call me.Thank you for your time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You guarantee 100% refund, i don't want to deal with you over this as I needed your help and not to feel like i am stupid.Please just refund me.