How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ulysses101 Your Own Question
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 3467
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Ulysses101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

About a month ago I got pulled over expired sticker, and

Customer Question

Hi there. About a month ago I got pulled over for an expired sticker, and ended up having alcohol in my system. The police took me into custody and I spent the night in jail. I got paper work and such and recently have got kicked out of my boyfriends house where the papers currently are. I had a " promise to appear " yesterday, but could have sworn it was today at 4:00. I made a big mistake and since I don't have the papers I didn't make it yesterday. Not sure what to do. Should I go in and explain to them what exactly happened and apologize and ask if they can see me today? Or will I possibly get arrested on the spot ? Just need advice
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the question, I hear your situation.

If you go to court now, you'll be arrested. And given the time of day there's a chance you'll be held overnight for processing in the morning. There will be a warrant for your arrest after your failure to appear.

So if you haven't gone in yet, then arrange to go to the court house first thing in the morning. Go to the information desk, say that you lost track of your court date because you don't have your paperwork since you were evicted. You'll be arrested, but since it's early in the day you're more likely to be processed that day and get out that day.

You might need a surety, so either have someone available by phone, or who can come with you, who could do that.

Don't bring excess jewellery, clothes, or money. Just a piece or two of ID. That'll speed things up and no risk of losing those items.

If it was an honest mistake you'll find that the Crown isn't likely to pursue this charge very far. They'll probably drop the charge if there's a plea on the others, but worry about that later.

Does that make sense? I'll await your question or comment. If I've answered you then I'd appreciate a positive service rating please.

Related Canada Law Questions