I have found my self in a situation i got back together with my ex boyfriend we have been back together for just over...

Customer Question
I have found my self...
I have found my self in a situation
i got back together with my ex boyfriend
we have been back together for just over 1 year
and when we got back together he was staying in a camper at a friends property
everything was going good at first and he basically started staying at my place full time
he has not been using my address for mail or anything he has a diffrent address
he doesnt pay me rent but has bought groceries 1/2 the time and has paid the utility bill a few times
recently my mother passed away and left me a fairly large inheritance
this relationship has been getting more and more volitile with threats and verbal abuse
now that he knows we are on the outs he is threatening me to take me to court for half of everything
nothing is in his name
my condo is paid out in full and also not in his name
i need to know if he has a leg to stand on
i need to get him out of my house
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
6/10/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer

What province are you in?

Bc
British Columbia

He has no claim to anything at all.

First, he would not share in assets brought into the relationship.

Also, he would not share in any inheritance.

But also, he is not even a common law spouse after living together for such a short while.

So he has no claim to support either.

He can be told to get out at any time and must do so and doesn't get a thing from you.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Is there a time limit in which the common law status changes and he would then be able to get anything ?
Would he ever have rights to anything
House
Inheritance
??
Anything ?

If he becomes a common law spouse he would possibly be entitled to spousal support.

He would not share in the inheritance.

He would share in the increase in value of he house over the course of your relationship.

You are common law spouses after cohabiting for two years.

You can protect yourself by having a cohabitation agreement.