How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100945
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have found my self in a situation i got back together with

Customer Question

I have found my self in a situation
i got back together with my ex boyfriend
we have been back together for just over 1 year
and when we got back together he was staying in a camper at a friends property
everything was going good at first and he basically started staying at my place full time
he has not been using my address for mail or anything he has a diffrent address
he doesnt pay me rent but has bought groceries 1/2 the time and has paid the utility bill a few times
recently my mother passed away and left me a fairly large inheritance
this relationship has been getting more and more volitile with threats and verbal abuse
now that he knows we are on the outs he is threatening me to take me to court for half of everything
nothing is in his name
my condo is paid out in full and also not in his name
i need to know if he has a leg to stand on
i need to get him out of my house
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

What province are you in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
British Columbia
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

He has no claim to anything at all.

First, he would not share in assets brought into the relationship.

Also, he would not share in any inheritance.

But also, he is not even a common law spouse after living together for such a short while.

So he has no claim to support either.

He can be told to get out at any time and must do so and doesn't get a thing from you.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a time limit in which the common law status changes and he would then be able to get anything ?
Would he ever have rights to anything
Anything ?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If he becomes a common law spouse he would possibly be entitled to spousal support.

He would not share in the inheritance.

He would share in the increase in value of he house over the course of your relationship.

You are common law spouses after cohabiting for two years.

You can protect yourself by having a cohabitation agreement.