How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101366
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are you familiar with Grandparents rights in Province of BC

Customer Question

Are you familiar with Grandparents rights in Province of BC Canada? Our son who was in a 2 yr common Law relationship, with a woman who had a baby 5 months ago. She abandoned their residence, taking Grandson with her. Is there any way we can get visitation rights without a formal court hearing?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

The only way to get visitation rights is to get the mother to agree or to see the child when he is with the father or else to get a court order.

There is never any way to compel someone to do something they do not wish to do without a court order.

Does that answer your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your response is mostly common sense of course one can't compel someone to do anything. I was hoping for answers in terms of process or if there is anything to do before going to court. I guess I failed to say father not in picture.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

The process to follow is to have a lawyer send a letter stating that you would rather not have to go to court but you believe it is in the best interests of the child for the child to have a meaningful relationship with his grandparents, especially if the father is not involved. But the letter would also say that you will not hesitate to proceed to court if you have no choice.