Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

On may 20th I was coerced to sign an agreement under

Customer Question

Hello. On may 20th I was coerced to sign an agreement under emotional duress to end my tenancy and be out in two weeks. I am suppose to be out tomorrow but need a at least and extra two days due to the fact the storage that the management company promised to be allocated to me wasn't opened when I needed it too be. They want me to pack all of my belongings in my unit but my place doesn't have enough space to sort through the last of my belongings without removing what I have already packed. What rights or options do I have?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
What province is this please?What do you mean when you say you were coerced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ontario. It was just after mothers day and my fathers birthday and they told me to take the deal that I'm struggling and if i didn't they would destroy my credit score.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying your parents said this to you or the landlord?

Did the landlord say sign this agreement or I will destroy your credit score?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, My parents are deceased, my mom died in 2010 and my dad died a year and a half ago. The landlord said if i don't , it will destroy my credit score
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
May 6th was my late fathers birthday and mothers day was right after, I am 21. When the landlord said that to me I was in tears and signed it in fear she'd ruin my life.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

This would be extortion and he acted unlawfully.

It is very possible that a Court would set aside your agreement to move out given this threat as you can show that you were forced into signing and so did sign under duress.

There is no way he can get you out within the two days as he will have to get a court order for your eviction and that cannot happen right away.

So if you stay and then he wants to take you to court you can defend by testifying about the extortion.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been in this building since I was 4. I was living with my parents in a different unit in the same building. After both of them passed I moved into another unit, the one I am in now. They took away my subsidy in march because they said I don't have the right no have it. I asked for an appeal but they said I don't have the right because too much time has passed since i was given notice of the decision and that they have a copy but I never received anything. The moment I got a letter saying i owe them full market rent , I refused to pay because I didn't have the opportunity to appeal lt. They first served me an eviction letter to go to court, which is what I planned on doing, then they said pay the arrears and will cancel it because we don't want to go to court. It was after that they coerced me into signing to leave willing. giving me from may 20th to june 6th.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the LANDLORD* took away my subsidy
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

And then tell them you want to go to court.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do i still have to leave for the time being?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Tell them that you were faced with a blackmail situation and that you were forced to sign as you were threatened and you arevnot leaving until court tells you to leave and you want the court to hear your side of the story.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tell a lawyer or the landlord?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Tell the landlord.

And also, you should speak to a lawyer at your local legal aid clinic as they will help you for free.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what i was coerced into signing was the n11 agreement to end the tendency
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I understand that.

But you are a 21 year old that was threatened and you got scared and signed.

I believe a Judge will feel the way I do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I will speak to legal aid and I will tell her first thing tomorrow.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I hope this works out.

If we are done please rate me now so that I can receive credit for my work. I cannot get paid until you rate me.