How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ulysses101 Your Own Question
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 3478
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Ulysses101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband has not paid the equalization payment and now

Customer Question

My ex husband has not paid the equalization payment and now owes around the 50000.00 dollar mark.what do I have to do to to get this payed
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: not as of yet is there a free consultation I could get
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was collecting thro1ugh a garnishee that stopped in 2011 when he went missing....I now have a confirmed address and want to place a lien/writ for sale and seizure and need to know what form I require to do this and am getting no where with the court office
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I'm receiving no help from the issuing court and need advice on what I need to do
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

Enforcement can be tough, I know.

What province are you in?

Do you know where the debtor works?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Alberta and my ex is in Thunder Bay, ON where the order was issued. He was working and I was collecting with a garnishment, he's not anymore, I don't know where he works, but I do have a confirmed address that he owns.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

As I'm sure you know, you can have a registry agent to check the title of that address to confirm that he's a titled owner. Then you put a lien on the property or attach a writ.

There's a good document on the Ministry of Attorney website about debt enforcement. Here it is:

Copy that and paste it into your browser, you'll see the document. It lists the various types o enforcement and the forms for each.

You will need proof of your ex's ownership of property that you want to have seized, of course. A ppsa search or land titles registry will be needed.

Is that a good start?

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Was that helpful? If you have the information you need, may I please have a positive service rating? That's how I get credit from the site.

Related Canada Law Questions