How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99954
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Montreal Quebec (borough Cote-de-Neiges/Notre

Customer Question

I live in Montreal Quebec (borough Cote-de-Neiges/Notre Dame-de-Grace)
The back of my property has a common border with the neighbours back yard from the next street. The neighbor owns the fence that separates the two yards. It is a "frost" (chain link) fence in a sad state of disrepair, but the neighbor refuses to fix it, remove it or contribute half the cost to replace it with a new fence.
The solution I would like to pursue is to plant a cedar hedge (max 6 feet tall) across the back of my property (on my property) so I don't have to look at the fence any longer.
Are there any laws that say I can't do that? The hedge will limit the neighbors view they now have through the fence, and partially shade their back yard (a few feet). I am onlyu concerned that there may an obstruction of view by-law of which I am unaware.
My e-mail address is***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I tried to search the by-laws online but cannot find the appropriate by-laws.

All you have to do is call by-law enforcement. You can even call anonymously and say you want to know about fence construction and you want to check about height restrictions.

They will be able to tell you without a moment's hesitation.

Here is the contact information:,82997610&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Related Canada Law Questions