How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Maven Your Own Question
Law Maven
Law Maven, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 164
Experience:  Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Law Maven is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 88 years old. Widowed. Retired. Two Grown children.. My

Customer Question

I am 88 years old. Widowed. Retired. Two Grown children.. My son lives in Montreal till he can go back to Bankok, Thailand. He is 65. My 58 year old daughter lives in Toronto (North York. I am a Canadian Citizen, born in REGINA, Saskatchewan, Oct. 19, 1927. I have lived in Montreal since November l, 1945.... I want to move to the Greater Toronto Area or perhaps within a 50 mile radious of GTA. I am told by different people that Citizens of Canada are not free to Move to any Province without great difficulty. I have been gainfully employed all my life till I retired at age 64.I paid all my Provincial and Federal Taxes then and I continue to pay my taxes now. I have no Police record. I have no driving demerits. I am confused that there should be such problems in a Democracy. I would appreciate if you can help me with information as to what legal proceedures that I must execute in order to legally move to Ontario.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: My name is***** My Address: *****Luc Road, Apt. 812, Cote St.Luc, Quebec, H4W3J4 - My Phone -(###) ###-####
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: E-Mail - ***@******.***. I know that I have to change all my addresses and perhaps I may have to take a new driving test because of my age. I recently had a driving test in Quebec which I passed with no problems.Any assistance or guidance you can give me will most sincerely ***** ***** Thank you.............Lester Finkelstein.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Law Maven replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, my name is*****'m a Canadian lawyer, and I'd be pleased to help you with this question.

In general there are not barriers to moving between provinces in Canada. You do have to change documents such as a driver's license over to the new province, but this is not all that difficult, though it may involve some time spent waiting in various government offices.

In the year after you move, you would need to do two provincial tax returns January -- move month as a Quebec tax payer, and move month to December as an Ontario tax payer. But that's something you'd only need to do once, and there are organizations in Ontario that offer free assistance in completing tax returns to seniors, if you decided you wanted help.

The primary draw back is that you need to change your Health Insurance from the Quebec plan to OHIP. You will need to reside in Ontario for three months before you are eligible for OHIP, and during that time if you need medical care it would be charged to the Quebec health plan. This may involve prepayment, or waiting for Quebec to authorize the medical treatment as Quebec and Ontario do not have reciprocal medical plans. There is more information on this waiting period here:

There are exceptions to the general rules regarding OHIP, and I can look into those to see if you might qualify for a shorter waiting period (or no wait at all) but I couldn't give you the results of that research until later this afternoon.

If you have specific questions about other things you might need to change, please let me know, and I will look into those as well. Of course, if I have fully answered your question and you do not need me to do further research, kindly provide me a positive rating so I can receive credit for my answer.

My answer here contains only general legal information and not legal advice. No solicitor/client relationship has been created by this communication.

Related Canada Law Questions