How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101458
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an albertan on term disability, have been diagnosed

Customer Question

hello pearl :)
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I am an albertan on long term disability, have been diagnosed with clinical depression and PTSD and wish to support my continued recovery with an emotional support animal, but i live in a pet free rental my landlord required to accommodate my request to home a therapy animal on the premises?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: no, this sums it up
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for your difficult situation.

So long as you can provide medical back-up for your need for this support animal and so long as the landlord would not undergo undue hardship your landlord is required to provide you with reasonable accommodations to meet your special needs. If the landlord refuses to do so then you would have a case of discrimination on the basis of disability and can file a complaint with the Human Rights Commission.

Does that help as a starting point?