How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100394
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex wife is running around calling my current wife all

Customer Question

My ex wife is running around calling my current wife all kinds of vicious names. She is suggesting that my current wife is not a worthy step mother to my kids "because she had her kids taken away from her by Childrens Aid". This is not true. My ex goes further and says that I told her these things - which I did not.
What can we do legally to stop her from spreading false rumours and denigrating my wife?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear of this very difficult situation. I suggest that you consult with a civil litigation lawyer. This issue really is not for a family lawyer.

If your former spouse is telling lies about your current spouse this is defamation and she can be sued for damages to your spouse's reputation. But, the first step that has to be taken before a lawsuit is initiated is you must have a lawyer send her a letter demanding that she cease and desist, provide your spouse with a written retraction and apology, and threaten a lawsuit.

If she refuses then your spouse can sue her and seek an order enjoining her from defaming your spouse further and for damages.

Does that help as a starting point?

Related Canada Law Questions