How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100463
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex spouse and I have drawn up a seperation agreement, it

Customer Question

My ex spouse and I have drawn up a seperation agreement, it is ready to be signed, but my ex claims that if we don't both take the document to a lawyer it won't be valid and she's concerned I'll claim I didn't understand what I was signing and try to sue her for proceeds from the sale of the family home later down the road, I have assured that is not my intention and do not wish to involve the cost of a lawyer into the situation. Do we require a lawyer to be involved for the real estate portion of the seperation agreement to be valid and legal?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

To be sure this agreement stands up in court should one of you need to go to court you absolutely each need independent legal advice.

That means you each need your own, separate lawyer, to review the agreement and make sure you understand the law and what you are agreeing to.

So she is correct.

I am sorry this is not what you were hoping to hear but the law is really quite clear in this case.

Related Canada Law Questions