How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100507
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married in South Africa. I am a Canadian citizen now

Customer Question

I was married in South Africa. I am a Canadian citizen now and my husband decided to stay in South Africa. We have been separated both emotionally and geographically for 7 years. I have filed all my taxes as "separated"
My husband has no interest in Canada or me
Where do I stand with regard to Canadian law? I do not have the funds to pursue a divorce across the ocean.
Cheryl Holtzhausen
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Because you are a resident of Canada you would apply for the divorce in your own province.

There are two ways to apply.

First, you can apply on your own and have your former spouse served with the divorce application which he can ignore. You would then note him in default with the courthouse and shortly after that your divorce judgement would be signed.

The other way to apply would be to apply jointly where your former spouse would sign the application along with you and you would then file this documentation with the court.

In neither case would you attend before a judge. Rather, this would be done "over the counter", which means that a clerk at the courthouse office would take your file to a judge to sign the divorce judgement. This would take several weeks in total.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not helpful as I have no contact information for my spouse in South Africa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please do not bill me for this.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

First, I do not work for the site and you have most assuredly already been charged as the site is not free.

Second how would I have known this?

You asked if you had to get divorced in SA and I said no and then went further and explained what to do.

Do you want me to continue and explain what you must do if you don't know your spouse's address?

Related Canada Law Questions