How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100929
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Last month Ive taken divorce in Alberta,but through

Customer Question

Last month Ive taken divorce in Alberta,but through religious scholar.I want to legalize it in a Canadian court.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying you only went through a religious divorce so far and now want a legal divorce?Are there any outstanding issue such as those relating to children, support or division of assets?How long were you separated for?Will your spouse agree to the divorce?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just want to register it ...if possible but don't want to go for whole divorce procedure.No issues..we have already settled on these things.Seperation period was almost 2 years.He already has signed on our religious divorce certificate.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
This is not something you can register. It has no legal significance. Do get a legal divorce you have to apply for a divorce judgment. If this is on consent you will not have to attend court but this most assuredly must go through the court system and be signed by a judge. There are two ways for you to apply for the divorce. The first is for you both to apply jointly. You both sign all the papers and file them with the court. The second way is for you to apply, have your former spouse served with the papers, he ignores them, and you have the court note him in default and then soon the divorce judgment is signed. So in both ways you deal with the courthouse office only and don't see a judge but the papers are taken up to a judge to sign.