How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have hosted my site with I lost the entire day

Customer Question

I have hosted my site with I lost the entire day and expense resources over and abovce my time and people working time . I call them to close the account and refund me they did not want. Now I want full refund and insemination. What should I do provided called 7 times .
Naiem Soliman
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-f4y332lu- replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am the expert who will be assisting you today. I am a Certified Fraud Examiner with many years of experience. Can you explain to me how you paid for their services?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by my wife visa card
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-f4y332lu- replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I just noticed that you requested a live phone call. Would you prefer to have the phone call for an additional cost or would you prefer for me to answer you here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the problem I just do not want refund I want insemination too because I lost 400$ on salaries
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok here is fine
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-f4y332lu- replied 1 year ago.
To get a refund for the amount that you paid by your wife's visa card to I recommend that you file a dispute directly with your credit card company. Based on the terms an conditions specified in terms and conditions, it states that you have 90 days to file a dispute for any invoice charges on your account. As for the $400 you lost on salaries, the only way you can recover that would be to contact a lawyer and sue for those losses due to poor site functionality. However, I think that it may cost you more in legal fees than the $400 you paid in salaries to sue them. Therefore, I would not recommend that you do this. Is the $400 in lost salaries the total amount that you are trying to recover?

Related Canada Law Questions