Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Long story short my husband broke his back at work. He was

Customer Question

long story short my husband broke his back at work. He was approved for workmans compensation. He had back surgery in August. The surgery that was supposed to be quick and easy resulted in 10 days in ICU and 9 blood transfusions. He came out of surgery with a left hand that doesn't properly work anymore as well as his mind is not the same. He is scattered and confused all the time. He has done physio for approximately 4 months that doesn't seem to be helping at all. At this point he is being asked to go to a rehab facility in Saint John NB. His nerves and mind cannot handle being away and alone for 2 or more months. Do we have any legal leg to stand on to refuse. Compensation seems to have him over a barrel.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear this terrible situation.What does his own doctor say?Is there no rehab facility where you live?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His own doctor is a dork and just that's interesting. He hasn't seen or heard from back surgeon since February .Surgeons told him physio is fine but certainly hasn't given him the ok to go back to work. He has been doing physio locally for 4 months but has been told he would need to go to Saint John Nb for inpatient physio. If he refuses due to mentally not being able to go. Can they stop compensation payment. Is he legally required to go. Where does he stand with fighting them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His physio therapist here feels that they can do nothing for him in Saint John that can't be done here
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
What he should do is provide a report from the physiotherapist and another report from a doctor that says it is not in his best interest to live in-patient at a hospital but he needs to be at home for emotional and psychological reasons. The physiotherapist report of course what state that his needs can be met on outpatient basis. If that doesn't work then his next step would be to retain a lawyer to assist him in dealing with the situation and who can be ready to appeal any decision that harms your husband.