How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99978
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about items that were left on a property

Customer Question

i have a question about items that were left on a property when purchased by the new owner
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
What type of items were left? Are you saying you can't get in touch with the owner of the items?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the previous owners now ex boyfriend has a 20 foot sea can full of his personal items.she sold the property a year and a half ago with the agreement they would move the container off the property in the spring (of last year) the owner of the sea can, the now ex boyfriend would contact me on occasion to grab some things from it. it has been a year and a half since i have heard from him.
i have tried to get in touch with them to see what they are doing with it without any response.i am wondering if i have the right to clean out the sea can of his things and sell it or use it for myself.
i would also like to build a new garage and it is in the way,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have spoke to the previous owner (her) and tried to get his number or have her pass on a message to him to contact me. i think she may not be passing on my messages to him for and she wont give me his number
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
She sold you the property and she agreed to remove this from your property. So it is her legal obligation to you and not her ex-boyfriend's. I suggest you send her a letter by Registered Mail and give her a deadline for removing the item. Tell her if she fails to comply as she is in breach of your agreement you will have the item removed and the contents discarded and you will then seek reimbursement for any costs you incur. If that doesn't work then I cannot see any court saying you are liable for the item or its contents.

Related Canada Law Questions