How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101405
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband wants a seperation. Our family home is in Montreal

Customer Question

My husband wants a seperation. Our family home is in Montreal and is currently on the market to be sold. My husband is currently living in Toronto and i will be relocating to a new location in toronto as well with our kids.
My question is, where would be the best place for me to seek a family lawyer to start the legal proccedings, Montreal or Toronto?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
If there are issues relating to the children then you would have to bring the application in the court in the jurisdiction where the children habitually resided so if you are both moving to Toronto permanently you should retain a lawyer in Toronto. Let me know if you need any further clarification.