How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100026
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've gotten detained at the Canadian border twice minor

Customer Question

I've gotten detained at the Canadian border twice for a minor alcohol incident that happened a number of years ago (16) it is not on my official record here in Michigan USA and does not show in their data base . It was volunteered by me but because of the one incident on my record they have told me that I need to apply for Canadian rehabilitation .i don't understand why I need to spend the money for the rehab process if my official record does not make me in admissible to Canada .
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
When you say you were detained did they eventually allow you in or were you turned away?Did they talk about a Temporary Resident Permit? What was the actual charge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They allowed me in under a temporary residence for a $ 200 Canadian fee twice . The charge that I informed them of was operating while impaired
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no record of the incident because it occurred so long ago and when I went to the courthouse where the case was resolved they did not have record of it on file.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
So this is not considered minor in Canada at all. It is most assuredly grounds to find you inadmissible to Canada. Canada takes these offences quite seriously. It is a criminal offence in Canada. There is a policy to allow US citizens and green card holders admission to Canada if they have only one driving while impaired conviction but there is a requirement to obtain the TRP.So you can either apply for rehabilitation or you will need to obtain the TRP each time you want to enter Canada unfortunately.Does that answer your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really , I understand how Canada interprets there laws . I may have given them inaccurate information based on my memory but now that is being held against me . There is no record of this incident in the data base that they use at the border or here in my home state . So I will be applying for rehabilitation for an incident that doesn't officially exist or paying for something that was entered into the Canadian border data base by information that is not accurate .
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Then what you should do is bring documentation with you each time you try and enter Canada.State you realize that you must have made an error last time when you were at the border as there is no record of conviction and prove that. Perhaps the charges were dismissed. If you can prove that at the border that would be ideal.

Related Canada Law Questions