I am the secretary non profit organization. We did a

Customer Question
I am the secretary for...
I am the secretary for a non profit organization. We did a fundraiser and I had the money in my car and it was stolen. Now this volunteer orginzation is going after me for fraud. I have filed a police report regarding the break in of my car.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Canada Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/8/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Debra, Lawyer
I am sorry to hear this.When you say that they are going after you for fraud what do you mean exactly?Are they suing you?Are the seeking to have you charged?How much money was stolen? Do the police believe you?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tgey are trying to have me criminal charged with fraud.
I had about $2054.00 cash and 742.50 in cheques and other items out of my car stolen
What have the police said?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They brought me in for questioning today and told me that I was being fraud
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here is my police report
Do you mean they said they are going to charge you or that they are investigating?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They are investigating me
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did nothing wrong. They are saying that I should have deposit the money and this would not have happened. They even went back to an old fundraiser and said that I didn't deposit the right amount. I asked what was that amount and the police said he can't give tgat to Mr.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I have the rights the the copy at the police station if they are investigating me?
When were you given the money?Did the police tell you that you had a right to speak to a lawyer before speaking to them?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes they did ask if I wanted a layer but I realy didn't understand what all of this was about.The club has been doing a fundraiser for the last three months. I have been waiting for them to open a bank account. Then everything was stolen
So why did you keep the money in your car rather than at your house?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have had this money for months and I was tired of having it. So I counted it and got it all ready to deposit it in the bank. As I am still waiting for them to get a bank account. So I had put it there so I wouldn't forget it in the am
Can your spouse be a witness for this?How were you depositing it if there was still no bank account?Was there proof of a break in?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There also was a few other break in the same night on my block
Please answer my questions first.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh sorryYes my spouse can be a witness to how much money was there. Also we seen the car trashed at the same time.
How were you going to deposit the money if there was no bank account?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Right now they have 1 account but they were in the process of opening a new one so these didn't get the funds mixed up
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was just going to deposit it in to the one they had as I was tired of holding the money
I think your facts are very reasonable and make sense.You also have your spouse to back you up.And the reports of other break ins really are strong evidence as you cannot be fabricating this.I cannot see you being charged based on these facts.But this is a serious charge if they do charge you then it is vital that you retain a lawyer. My concern is that you will be sued though as they will allege negligence in your leaving out all this money in your car.So if may work out best to consider paying them back for this money so you are not sued and if you are charged this will go along way as it is making restitution.Does that help?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I already told them that I would take responsibility for the money and I would pay it back
I think you've done everything correct and at this point there is nothing more you need to do.
Debra, Lawyer