How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ulysses101 Your Own Question
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 3573
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Ulysses101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a DUI in 2012 and would like to travel to Canada this

Customer Question

I had a DUI in 2012 and would like to travel to Canada this June. I would be entering the country by sailboat in Montreal coming from Vermont. I would be on the boat for 1 week and then take a train back to US. Is this possible?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for the question.Entering Canada from the US (and vice versa) with a criminal record can be tricky because you're risking that if the Border Services personnel on the country you're entering run a check on you for any reason and discover your record they can refuse entry. Technically you could be arrested for trying but I've never heard of that happening unless there was an outstanding international warrant. Rather than arresting, the person is simply turned away at the border. Which can also throw a big wrench into people's lives. As I'm sure you've observed, the Border Services staff aren't known for being friendly, compassionate, or willing to look at all the facts and paperwork when making a decision.As well, each side updates its database from the others' updating lists of people arrested, charged, and convicted. But neither government is compelled to recognize a pardon granted by the other to its convicted citizens.Anyway, you're plan is fine but you could well be turned away if your record is checked. It might not be. I can't tell you how thorough the Border staff are at ports of entry. Here's a good website to copy and paste into your browser. It's a commercial site, promoting their immigration/Nexus card serivices but there's good information there:'s a good link from US Customs: here's a link to the Canada Government FAQ about the Nexus program, which is how you get pre-approval to cross into Canada: the Nexus card you're rolling the dice when you try to cross the border.Does that make sense? I'll await your question or comment if any. If I've answered you fully then I'd appreciate a positive service rating please.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.
I haven't heard back, was that information helpful? Anything more to discuss about the border crossing issue?