Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Our neighbor built a two story addition without a permit, was

Customer Question

Our neighbor built a two story addition without a permit, was twice ordered to stop work. The City of Surrey has done nothing to fine the property owner or remove the addition. I have been fighting this problem since 2013. The City's Legal Department deep sixed my complaints. I want to sue the City.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
You can sue the city and your neighbour at the same time. If the addition is harming you then you have every right to sue the neighbour as it was put up illegally.And you have the right to sue the city as they failed to exercise their authority when obligated to do so and this has harmed you. But it is not likely that you can succeed in suing the city successfully by self-representing.So I suggest that your next step be to consult with a lawyer face to face and then retain the lawyer to send both parties demand letters threatening a lawsuit.The city may do what they are required to do after getting the letter.