How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Freudman Your Own Question
Daniel Freudman
Daniel Freudman, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 1336
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Daniel Freudman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about fines I received while I was drunk.

Customer Question

I have a question about fines I received while I was drunk. I am a recovering alcoholic, have been sober for a few years and I am trying to clean up fines and my record. Can I appeal fines, eve after a few years?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Daniel Freudman replied 1 year ago.
Generally you only have 30 days after the sentence to appeal it. If it has been several years, I cannot see any likelihood of success in attempting to appeal, even if you have since become sober. However, if they are fines under provincial statute (e.g. non-criminal) you can apply for an extension of time to pay the fines. In the same paperwork and/or if you go before a judge to argue for the extension, you can also add in a part about how you've turned your life around and now request they lower the fines. It is unlikely to work but there is little harm in trying.Hopefully that is of assistance.