How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100033
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We lease a farm property and hay land. We have done

Customer Question

Hello. We lease a farm property and hay land. We have done so for 9 years. Our written agreement has expired but we had a verbal agreement with the land owner to extend it for another two years which would take us into the end of 2017.
At the beginning of April the land owners sin advised us by phone that he was giving us notice to vacate the property by Mat 31 2016.
Today he gave us a written eviction notice and said we had to be off the farm by May31, 2016.
Do we have to be off the farm by this date or is the law similar for residential tenants and 90 days is the timeframe.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Can you tell me what state this is in?.Do you currently have crops growing on the land?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We live in Canada Nova Scotia. We have a beef cattle operation
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will have to opt out and get the question transferred over to the Canada law category.. .thanksBarrister
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
There is no law similar to that applies to residential tenants but that isn't really the point what actually matters here is that you have a fixed term tenancy agreement and it cannot be terminated early unless there was a provision in that agreement (I know it's verbal) that allows early termination. Do you see what I mean?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes but the land owner does not remember this conversation
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Then tell the landlord that you are not leaving and that he can seek an order for eviction. It will be his burden of proof to prove that you are not entitled to stay there. Hopefully you will be able to attack his credibility or perhaps even have a witness?

Related Canada Law Questions