How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101461
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tom, I'm wanting to get a divorce from my wife. We've been

Customer Question

Hi Tom, I'm wanting to get a divorce from my wife. We've been separated for 6 years and were legally separated about 4 months ago. I don't live in Canada, but my wife does. Almost 3 months ago, she agreed to file for divorce if I paid for it, so I sent her the money and my portion of the documents signed and notarized.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Tom has not been on the site for sometime. Would you like for me to assist you? But, I think I already started out working with you last week because I had to deal with this question before, is that not true?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was traveling so my mother wrote on my behalf.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to help me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've just paid to have my question answered. Must I ask for someone else to help?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Please be patient. I am trying to find your other post. As well you are not the only customer on the site. And you are not getting a computer generated answer but I am a human trying to type as quickly as possible. This is not an instant chat.Did you see my answer last time?I don't want to have to repeat myself. I cannot find the answer because you started a new account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't see your previous answer. Sorry if I sounded impatient, I assumed it was instant chat.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
I have been looking and looking for the answer because this a bit awkward for me to be answering the same question again but I guess I'll go ahead and do my best.Can you clarify a few things for me first?Was this to be a joint application so you signed all the forms and then she simply had to sign her signature to the same forms and that she was going to file them?Are you saying that she now has the money and you are sure that she has not file the forms?It is very important that you are sure about this because you cannot apply for a divorce if she already has.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has the money, but has not filed the forms.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
You can start your own divorce application and then have her served with the papers. She would then presumably ignore them since she has already consented to the divorce. When she ignores them and the 20 days for her replying has passed you would note her in default at the courthouse office and shortly after that the divorce judgement would be signed.In terms of getting the money back you may have to sue her to provide you with a refund of the money you paid her.Let me know if you need any further clarification.