How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99931
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Uncle and Aunt are very elderly. They purchased a house

Customer Question

My Uncle and Aunt are very elderly. They purchased a house that was part of a condominium complex and moved in about a month ago. They have discovered that the basement leaks, the roof needs replacing, among other significant problems. Neither are really capable of decision maker -- he is 93, she is also a senior. What recourse do they have?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear this. Before I begin to explain the law and make suggestions can you first tsimply tell me what they have done so far aside from an contractor, if anything. For example, did they speak to their real estate lawyer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have not spoken to a lawyer. They seem to be completely intimidated with the thought of taking legal action.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Generally the law with respect to the purchase of homes is that the purchaser has the right to inspect the home for defects. If the Purchaser decides to buy the home then generally the law can be summed up by the well known phrase "buyer beware." The legal phrase for this is the Latin phrase caveat emptor.However, at the same time the Vendor is not permitted to misrepresent, fail to disclose or actively try to hide defects.As well the vendor has a duty to disclose a latent defect if it's substantial. This usually includes defects that render the premises uninhabitable or unfit for the use the Purchaser is planning for. It would also include the situation where the cost to repair is going to be substantial as well.Your uncle and aunt's next step then may be to sit down with a lawyer and review all the relevant facts with the lawyer. Perhaps you can go with them and if you do then be sure to bring in all the documentation of course, including the inspection report. It may be that they will have a case against the Vendor or the inspector.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I do not need anything further. It looked like I might have been signing up for a membership when I paid for this. I do not want a membership, do not want any further charges. Please ensure that there will not be a monthly charge.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
I cannot ensure anything as I don't work for the site. I just log into the site the way you do and I see a list of questions and choose which to answer.But the one thing I can see is if the customer has a subscription or not and you do.So please rate me now and then reply back letting me know that and then I can send a message to customer service for you.

Related Canada Law Questions