How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100401
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex lives in BC and pays child support to FMEP who sends

Customer Question

My ex lives in BC and pays child support to FMEP who sends it to MEP where I live in AB. He had a few years where he owed quite a bit of arrears. He is mostly consistent with paying now but currently is a few months behind. There was a Leon placed on his house which he recently sold. MEP told him that they are withholding $15,000 for an undetermined amount of time incase he doesn't pay. He is in arrears of only $2700 right now. Can they do this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
They can do this and if he doesn't want them to be able to withhold this amount of money then he would have to obtain a court order. In essence he would have to sue the government.Does that answer your question?

Related Canada Law Questions