How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100434
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been employed by an agency past16 years on

Customer Question

I have been employed by an agency for the past16 years on full time basis. It is an unionized work place. After obtaining a bachelor's degree I have applied for a clinical position which was within my rights. The position was open to internal candidates. There was 3 people who were intervied and today I've been informed that another person was granted the position because according to the supervisor the person did better with her interview questions. This person is currently employed by the same company on a casual basis and casual employees are not unionized. It seems that my work experience and length of time I've been working for this company is absolutely not being taken under consideration.
Of course I'm hurt however...should I file a grieviency considering that only the interview process was taken under consideration?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying that you believe you did not get this position because you are in the union?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I'm asking is how big of a role seniority plays with government union employees in Manitoba . I need to know before I start arbitration.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
The question is whether the collective agreement was breached. The collective agreement will very specifically deal with seniority issues. If you are not sure what the agreement says or means in this regard your next step should be to sit down with the union rep and ask and also ask whether the union lawyer feels you have a strong enough case to go ahead. Does that help as a starting point?

Related Canada Law Questions