How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99992
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm living in victoria bc I had a landlord 2 years ago who

Customer Question

HI I'm living in victoria bc I had a landlord 2 years ago who witheald my damage deposit without followING due process. I raised a dispute with bc dispute and resolutions. I won the hearing alost a year ago now and an order was issued to pay me. I took far too long for him to pay so I notified him that I was going to submit paperwork from small claims to have the order enforced by garnishing his wages. After that non idle threat he finally paid me the order amount. Now he is threatening to sue because he claims that he had to replace the carpet because of me when I am extremely confident that I left it in acceptable condition. Also in the tenant agreement it stated that the carpet must be professionally cleaned upon moving out so I rented a shampooing and steam cleaning machine and clean it maticulusly myself which I consider a professional clean. My question is how legitimate is his threat to sue me? Even thought is 2 years after the fact and he has already lost a dispute which the province has described as "legally binding and final" thank you for time
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
He cannot sue you. It is too late. The limitation period for suing you is two years and it is beyond that now. I suggest just ignoring him. Let me know if you need any further clarification.