How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100973
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is ***** *****. My fiancé has a no contact order with

Customer Question

Hi this is ***** *****. My fiancé has a no contact order with me. We have a 6 month old baby. I am wanting the assault charge dropped and the no contact order lifted. Can I contact the crown attorney to do this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My fiancé was charged with assault. The court date is May 10th. There is a no contact order in place. But I am wanting the charge dropped and same with the no contact order
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $39 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need a lawyer with me in court to try and get the charges dropped?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
The fact is that you did not charge your fiance. Rather the police did. So you can let the Crown know your views for sure. But that doesn't mean the Crown will drop the charges. The police charged your fiance because they had a reasonable grounds for believing that he assaulted you so it is not likely they will do what you ask. As well, our society has a zero tolerance to domestic violence policy and the Crown doesn't want to allow those who are accused of domestic assault to simply get away with it because the victim doesn't want him charged. I suggest you tell the Crown what you want and also that you speak to victim services.Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I contact the crown before the court date? And should I have a lawyer with me in court?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Yes you should contact the Crown before the court date. I don't know why you would need a lawyer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. I hope you can work things out.If we are done please rate me so that I can receive credit for my work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible that the no contact order would be dropped? How often do they drop that on the first court date?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
They will not drop if it the charge is not dropped. If there is a conviction then you can apply in writing to have the no contact order lifted but not now.