How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101381
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Someone who use to be my friend has said not nice things on

Customer Question

Someone who use to be my friend has said not nice things on Facebook about me for everyone to read. He is angry at me and is saying things about me on Facebook trying to make me look bad in front of his 1000 friends and some of them are my friends and professional people I do volunteer work with. He is well known in the disabled community and so am I and I am worried the impact he will have on my reputation. Furthermore, he left an insulting voice message on my home phone, I saved it and I have a hard copy of what he said about me, the post and all of the comments made by others on his Facebook Wall. It all started with this one post that he posted. I asked him to take the comment about me down, he insulted me by text and has not taken the post down. We had a verbal agreement that he would not post publically our personal conversations about me, especially if he is angry. Can I go to the Police with this?, will they do anything? Do I need a Lawyer? or is there're nothing that can be done?. I live in Toronto, ON, Canada
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Is he telling lies about you or just say nasty things there are his opinion?Do you know what I mean? This is very important because what is being said is going to make all the difference in terms of what you can do, if anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is what he says, Scott Allardyce Michele Gardner please feel free to leave me alone now.Scott Allardyce I truly don't unstand why people are attacking me? I only had a comment to bring ideas to the floor. Michele attached me by calling me ignorant for saying that all people can work together to end racism. I don't mind if people disagree with me on any issue. Michele attacks all the time. Terri-Lynn Langdon I don't know you that well but I understand you have a different opinion. I respect that.He also left me a phone message saying I am crazy and need to go on Prozac etc. he made insults to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if it seems minor, his comments can have an huge impact on my reputation.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
I don't see that as minor. But, the law is that he is free to say his own opinion no matter how nasty that opinion is. There's nothing unlawful in our society about saying horrible things about people. It is not unlawful to act disgustingly and to be a horrible person.What is unlawful is to tell lies about people that can damage their reputation. This is his opinion as it's not a lie and so it is not considered defamation so unfortunately from a legal point of view there is very little you can do. However, people do not like getting letters from lawyers. So, what may work is for you to retain a lawyer and have a lawyer send him a letter threatening a lawsuit. The letter can demand that he provide you with a formal written retraction and apology which he should post online and remove all the other posts. But, what I am telling you is that if you did sue him you would not succeed. The hope is that the fear of a lawsuit is all that it takes.I'm very sorry this is happening to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What he said is an actual lie cause I never did what he said. I gave a comment about a topic he posted and it was not directed at him personally and I have proof, copies of the post and all the comments made. I do understand what your saying though. What about the phone call?, he personally attacked me and made reference to my partner, calling me crazy and that I need to take Prozac etc. Can I go to the Police and charge him with harassment? I would include his comments on Facebook that I just shared with you as well, if I were to go to the Police. Just wondered if this would be another option?. If I was successful in this I believe the most that they would do is give him a warning as well but I am not sure.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
The police will not charge him with harassment unless he keeps posting over and over again. One or two posts just isn't harassment.If he doesn't stop at some point it will be harassment. And you are right, even if they got involved at first they would just give him a warning to stop. That is why yesterday I suggested what I suggested which is to involve a lawyer.