How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99954
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed a sale contract house is there any way to

Customer Question

I signed a sale contract for my house is there any way to get out of this contract a few things have happened I have just lost my job, but insurance will pay my mortgage for a year so better not to sell then not be able to pay rent on one of the subject removals it states "it's a fundamental term of the contract that my tenant must be out 2 mths earlier than when her fixed contract ends I cannot meet this as she is in a fixed term can I get out of this deal
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
What province is this please?Did you know that the tenant was on a fixed term lease and you could not get her out earlier when you accepted the offer?And if so did he purchaser know this too?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes we knew but could not get her to agree after sales contract signed they knew she was in fixed term we live in British Columbia
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
There is no way for you to get out of the contract if they don't allow you to do so. And they can sue you if you fail to go through with the closing or if you fail to provide vacant possession. But if you prove to them that you cannot get the tenant out early they may agree to walk away but will likely have some price. If they don't agree to walk away you have to take all steps possible to get that tenant out and to go through the closing as you could be facing a major lawsuit unfortunately. Your only strong point here is that they knew she was on a a fixed term lease so they may not have a case for damages if she is still there when they get the house. But this is no way relieves you of your obligations unfortunately.

Related Canada Law Questions