How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100964
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does the question regarding a 18+ yr old kid going to college

Customer Question

Does the question regarding a 18+ yr old kid going to college to do upgrading courses and the minimum courses required to take per semester being four therefore not being eligible for child support, does that apply in Alberta?
Is it to a maximum age of 22 or can they take XX+ years to complete their degree?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
In most cases, a court will order that parents support their child so long as their child remains in full time attendance in school for a first degree. So, generally a parent has to pay support for four years of post-secondary school. However, if the program is longer they would generally have to pay longer than the four years. However, if a child is floundering and switches from program to program they may not have to pay beyond four years or so. So to some extent each case depends on the facts. If your child is attending school full time for these upgrading courses it is most likely that the court would order that you pay child support because the goal is that the child be well educated. Let me know if you need any further clarifications.