How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to create an inter vivos , discretionary trust. the

Customer Question

I want to create an inter vivos , discretionary trust. the first attorney I went to took 2 mos to tell me he did not have the expertise to do so. Another month and a half to recoup my trust funds. Second attorney took 1 mos. to give me a reason why she could not proceed before she went away. When I called the Law Society for help they called her reason "Hogwash". The next firm I called wanted anywhere from $475. to $800. per hour. So I decided to do my own. I feel confident about how to proceed. My problem is I do not have the proper legal language to implement it. Can you help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
I cannot review legal documents or provide wording.I can explain the law fully and what you have to try and accomplish but to be very frank it is dangerous to do this on your own. What you are finding is that these lawyers don't even know how to do it well. If I can help by explaining the law and what you need to consider I can do that. But first, please let me know if this is to be an absolute discretionary trust and also if it is if the beneficiary is on ODSP. I may also be able to suggest ways on how to find the correct lawyer and as it is likely the case that with the correct lawyer you will be charged a fixed fee for this as a lawyer with experience does this a lot and has a template.

Related Canada Law Questions