How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99980
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am South African, a PR of Canada, married to a Canadian citizen,

Customer Question

I am South African, a PR of Canada, married to a Canadian citizen, but we live in Panama. We were married in South Africa. Can I file for divorce in Canada
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Been living outside of Canada since 1997. We have been separated here in Panama for 2 years. Want to finalize
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $39 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, it is not possible for you to apply for a divorce in Canada.To be able to apply for divorce in Canada one of you has to have been living in Canada in one province for at least one full year before applying in that province.As you have been living in Panama the only way Canada would recognize your divorce at this point is if you get divorced in Panama.Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Related Canada Law Questions