How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101054
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a DUI in 2012 and want to travel to Canada this summer

Customer Question

I had a DUI in 2012 and want to travel to Canada this summer in June 2016. What do I need to do in order to enter the country?
Thank you,
Sara Garay
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately it is very likely that you will not be able to enter Canada at this point in time. Because of your criminal record at first you are considered to be inadmissible to Canada on the basis of criminality.But, after 5 years has passed since your sentence as been completed it is sometimes possible to be deemed to have been rehabilitated when you reach the border. However, there's no guarantee as it's up to the discretion of the immigration office. At other times the time frame is 10 years from the time the sentence has been completed and even then there is no guarantee.If you don't want to take a chance at the border the most prudent thing to do is to apply for individual rehabilitation. If this application is successful you will no longer have to be concerned about being turned away at the border.But, it takes over a year to get this processed. And you are not yet eligible to apply as you need to wait to have a clear 5 years (at least) since your sentence has been completed.So, if you want to come up before then it's sometimes possible to get what is called a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). This is granted in extraordinary situations such as for a funeral but may also be granted if you need to come to Canada for work, for example.Here is a link to the information about the TRP application: is the link to the webpage that explains how rehabilitation works: