How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100935
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to authorize my father to travel from

Customer Question

Hello. I would like to authorize my father to travel from Belize, to Canada with my son, who is 6 years old. I would like to know what sort of documents I will need to provide him with and also what to expect at the airport, like will my father be taken aside for any kind of special processing? They have a very short layover between connecting flights and I want to know if there are any procedures in effect in the airport that might delay their efforts to make their flight. What should my father expect when traveling with my son internationally?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
What is you child's citizenship?Is there a father and if so does he agree?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My child has U.S and Canadian citizenship. I have sole custody of my child. His father has been completely absent for the last 5 years. My father has canadian citizenship. I also have canadian citizenship.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Will you be in Canada?And do you have an actual order on paper?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By order do you mean a legal document that grants me sole custody? If so, then yes. The situation is complicated. I travel through the USA on an i-192 waiver.. so... I get taken into a room for clearance from anywhere between 1/2 hour and 6 hours before I can proceed through customs. My son, my father and I are all traveling to Canada. I just want for my son to not have to wait in that room for so long.. as he is hyper and will not be allowed to use a tablet or play or anything like that, also, I dont want for him and my father to have to miss their flight due to my circumstances. So, I will be leaving Belize on an earlier flight, to give me more time to make my connecting flight..My father and son, will be catching a later flight from Belize, but we will all be on the same connecting flight to canada (hopefully) So he needs authorization to travel from Belize to USA and possibly even to Canada, should I miss the connecting flight for any reason.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
I don't know the law in the Belize or in the US. I just know the law in Canada. What you should do is write a letter stating that you are the natural mother of..... born on..... and that you are authorizing your father ..... to travel with your son on...... for the purpose of returning him to your home in ........You should also add that you have sole custody of the child and that your father will provide a copy of the order if requested. Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it does help, thank you...I was just wondering if my father should expect any delays if he has all necessary paperwork in order.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
He should not expect any delays at all and in all likelihood he may not even be asked for any of these documents.