How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100413
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been married to my husband years. He already moved

Customer Question

I have been married to my husband for 24 years. He already moved out of our house and wants a divorce. None of the assets that he owns are in my name (house,condo). We don't even have a joint bank account or credit cards together. The only money I have ever gotten from him is a monthly check for groceries. He owns several companies that are corporately owned. Im not sure what to do at this point and need advice. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Unfortunately there is no doubt that what you need to do is to see a family lawyer and to do so at once.

After such a long marriage you will share equally in the value of all assets acquired during the marriage, aside from gifts and inheritances even if they are in his name and even if you did not contribute to them.

And if he has been supporting you all these years then he will be required to provide you with spousal support going forward.

If there are legal or financial documents in your home find them and at least make copies of them to show the lawyer.

And do not agree to anything at all with him until you've received legal advice from your own lawyer.

Does that help as a starting point.

Related Canada Law Questions