Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am currently a US citizen and my girlfriend is a Canadian

Customer Question

Hello, i am currently a US citizen and my girlfriend is a Canadian citizen. 7 years ago, i was arrested and charged with two misdemeanors for possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphenlia. I went into a pretrial diversion and both of these misdemeanor charges were dismissed. If my girlfriend and I get married, is it still possible for me to move into Canada with her?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You are not inadmissible to Canada because the charges were dismissed. That means there was no finding of guilt and you do not have a criminal record.

So when you get married you spouse will be able to sponsor you for permanent residency status.

Let me know if you need further clarification.