How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100359
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an American citizen. I am the owner of a Limited

Customer Question

Hello. I am an American citizen. I am the owner of a Limited Liability Company (LLC) registered in Washington, DC. My LLC has a contract with a Canadian company based in Montreal. In order to work in Montreal between now and the end of the year...and go back and forth across the border without hassle..what documentation do I need, if any? Does the company need to "sponsor" me even though I am not an employee? Thank you very much. Jim
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

So just to be clear, the company in Canada will pay the company in the US and so you can say you are paid by the company in the US?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct. Now in reality, I am the only person working at the LLC. But I do have a registered LLC in Washington, DC. My home of record is in DC. I own a home in DC.But to answer your question, the Canadian company pays the American LLC...not me directly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS. In terms of paperwork, would the contract between the Canadian company and my firm suffice...or do I need the company to do something more?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You would enter as a business visitor. This means you don't need any visa at all.

You would have to be ready to show that you are not entering the workforce but staying for a short time and being paid by your employer in the US.

You should get a letter from the Canadian company verifying this.

Here is a link to the information you should read about business visitors to Canada:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK...thank you. To stay for longer stretches, can a Canadian company sponsor a consultant from an American LLC for a work visa...or would that person have to become an employee of the Canadian firm? I go home every month, but not every week, so I am wondering if there is a limit to how much I can stay in a given month working on this project without some sort of documentation...other than the contract between the Canadian firm and my American LLC.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You would have to be an employee.

As a business visitor your have to plan on staying for under six months.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Very good to know.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.

I hope this works out.

Take good care.

Related Canada Law Questions