How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101440
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved from Halifax to BC. and moved in with a woman after

Customer Question

Hello. I moved from Halifax to BC. and moved in with a woman after a short online romance.(she had paid for my flight with her airmiles. I needed a vehicle for work so she bought me a vehicle which she told me was a gift.The vehicle went in my name.Soon the relationship soured and she literally threw me out without warning causing considerable costs, and demanding to be paid for the vehicle. I needed money for lodging and food and a flight back to Halifax so I sold the vehicle and kept the money and left town. Have I done anything illegal, or is she just out of luck if I do not repay her. thankyou
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

She is just out of luck. She gave you a gift. The car was yours once she gave it to you.

So you did not have to return it.

And it was therefore yours to do what you wanted with it.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.